When it comes to paving materials for their driveways, most homeowners have the same issue. Gravel and asphalt are the most common driveway surfaces used for residential driveways. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of gravel and asphalt before deciding which one to use for driveway construction. Below is a quick overview of each to help you choose the best material for your home.
– Asphalt is a durable material that can handle heavy traffic.
– An asphalt-paved driveway is low maintenance and requires little maintenance.
-Recycled asphalt is a widely used driveway material in the USA
-Asphalt is environmentally friendly and sustainable.
– Asphalt driveways may be prepared for deicing with a little planning, making them safe in snowy weather.
– Asphalt driveways are black, absorbing heat from the sun, which can melt snow and ice quickly in the winter.
– Asphalt driveways are also simple to clean and maintain.
– The cost to install asphalt may be higher than that of gravel.
– To preserve its beauty and stop cracking, the asphalt driveway requires maintenance and has to be resealed every few years.
– Asphalt damage that is left unattended might be challenging to fix.
– Installation can be more difficult, so hiring a professional paving contractor is advisable.
– Over time, asphalt can crack, particularly if it isn’t properly maintained.
– Spills of gas or oil can potentially harm it.
– Gravel driveway cost is one of the least expensive materials for a driveway.
– Installation is manageable for a do-it-yourselfer.
– Gravel driveways are low maintenance and don’t need to be sealed or repaired frequently.
– If taken care of properly, they can last for many years.
– Gravel material needs to be supplied on a regular basis since it can be moved by heavy traffic or bad weather.
– Snow and ice removal can be challenging from gravel roads throughout the winter.
– Gravel can track inside your home and be noisy to drive on.
Additionally, it might be messy, bringing mud and dirt into your house.
Required Maintenance for Asphalt Driveway
Maintaining your asphalt driveway’s structural durability is essential for preventing cracking and other damage. Here are some guidelines for proper maintenance:
– To protect your driveway from the elements and stop cracking, seal it every two to three years.
– Clean up any gas or oil leaks right away. – Use caution while using deicing agents. These have the potential to harm you permanently if ignored.
While they might aid in melting snow and ice, they can also harm your asphalt driveway if used excessively.
– To prevent significant harm, have any cracks or potholes repaired as soon as possible.
Gravel Driveway Proper Maintenance
Although gravel driveways don’t need as much maintenance as asphalt driveways, you should still take a few steps to keep them in good shape:
– Drive carefully to avoid displacing the gravel in your driveway.
– Regularly inspect the gravel for weeds and pull them out if you find any.
– add more gravel as necessary to keep the depth at a comfortable level.
– To prevent damage, use a plastic shovel or broom to remove snow or ice rather than a metal one.
Choosing the Paving Material with the Assistance of Professional Contractors: Asphalt vs. Gravel Driveway
Which choice is better for your home, then? Before making a choice, weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of gravel and asphalt driveways. It ultimately comes down to your needs, preferences, and financial situation. Gravel might be the way to go if you want a simple installation option at a minimal cost. However, asphalt is preferable if you want a strong and long-lasting driveway.
Whichever material you decide on, go with a reputable contractor like A-Rock Asphalt that can offer a high-quality installation. If you still need to decide which option is ideal, contact A-Rock Asphalt for additional information. We can assist you in determining your needs and the best course of action for your property.
A-Rock Asphalt, established in Salt Lake City, Utah, has served the community for more than 25 years. We provide a wide range of services, including line striping, sealcoating, and asphalt and concrete paving. A-Rock Asphalt can assist with any of your needs.
Look no further than A-Rock Asphalt if you’re searching for a company you can rely on. Our qualified paving experts will coordinate with you to ensure your satisfaction with the finished driveway. At A-Rock Asphalt, we are renowned for our amazing customer service and our superior workmanship. We are always available to handle queries or other issues. For a free estimate, get in touch with us right away!